Saturday 21 April 2012

Townhall - Menya Mappen

I absolutely love Japanese food; whether it's Sushi, Sashimi, Teppenyaki or just noodles and rice. I love it so much I probably eat it more than Chinese food. Since I live in the city myself, I usually have a lot of different food to choose from.


Towards the end of last year, I noticed this new Japanese restaurant on George Street. It's situated at the the heart of the city, in a small shopping centre next to Events Cinema.  There was this huge hype about how tasty and cheap it was so I had to go try it myself and just got to review about it now! Since then, I guess I've eaten noodles there more than ten times!


This restaurant has a different approach to other Japanese cuisines. This is more like a self-serve canteen, where there are a few stations for you to get your drinks and food.
  1. First get your drinks from the fridge.
  2. Get a tray and tell the waiter your choice of noodles or rice
  3. Move along and choose what type of toppings you want (almost all of them are tempura)
  4. Pay at the cashier
  5. Find a seat and return tray when you're done!
Easy right?


Today, I got takeaway but I had my usual favourite, Ontama Bukake. It's a very special way of eating Udon.  It is served with hot soup, lemon and a half-boiled egg. The small one is ($4.90) and the large one ($5.90).

For the toppings, I chose the vegetable kakiage tempura ($2.80), Japanese seaweed ($2.00) and the huge piece of Inari (beancurd) ($2.50)  




I think the good thing about eating there is that you can choose the size of the noodles or rice (large or small) and what kind of toppings you want. Unlike other Japanese set meals, you can be sure to finish the amount that you chose and be creative by choosing whatever you feel like eating that day!


Price range: $5.00-15.00


Kitty


Address:
Menya Mappen
Shop 11, 537 - 551 George Street, Sydney NSW
Phone: (02) 9283 5525








No comments:

Post a Comment